So, again, I find myself in the dilemma: What do I want to do with my life? I am an IT major concentrating in software development. People bug me and ask is it my passion. I usually have to fake a grin and try to shy away from answering. I like computers, but it isn't my passion. However, my real passions, music and ministry, aren't very practical for me. I can't major in music because music is a hit-or-miss business. You either make or you don't. Why waste 4 years in college to take the risk? If I was married, then I wouldn't have to worry as much because I want to become a stay-at-home mom. I also don't really think majoring in Ministry will help either. I would love to be more studious in ministry, but I don't know what good a degree will do. Biblically, women are not well received as preachers, and I agree with that. If I wasn't going to be a preacher, what other things could I do with a ministry-related major? Also, I believe that I am to be a light in the darkness. How can I be a light in an already lit room? That is why I'm glad I did not attend a Christian college as I originally wanted. What is a girl to do?
Over the past 2 years, my mother has been bugging me to take a career-placement test to make sure that my major fits with what I like. After I dropped Intermediate Programming, I was more inclined to find out if IT was really my outlet. So I went to the GGC Career Center. I took some tests and some pinned me down for media-involved careers. Another exercise, was to close my eyes and envision what I want in my job. Things like: do I want to work at home or in an office? What level do I want to be in? What am I doing? All these questions helped me out. I realized that I actually do have an affinity for media. I like to be behind the scenes designing and putting things together. As I did this, The Joyful Sound, the magazine I organized in high school, came to my mind. I enjoyed putting it together. Mind you, I didn't really like writing every article in there, but I enjoyed putting it together and creating an output of thoughts and other people's thoughts. I liked when people would send articles or responded to things, so I had material for the upcoming issue. As I started college, I shut down the Joyful Sound due to time issues. I tried last summer to revive it, but not enough people helped out.
So what does this mean now? I still plan to major in IT, because I still like it and it caters to my analytic side. In the end, I like putting things together, even if it is software. I like programming when I can see the whole thing. That's why I enjoyed Dr. Jenkins' book when he tutored me, as opposed to Dr. Chen's teaching. With Dr. Jenkins, I built games and such. With Dr. Chen, I calculated gas millage from an imaginary car. I liked seeing the physical results with Jenkins. This is why I continue in IT. (And the fact that it is an excellent job source truly helps. ;) I'm hoping Dr. Brannock makes programming fun so I can continue. As for media, I figure that I can maybe create another magazine, or even revive the Joyful Sound again, but gear it toward a more mature audience. Maybe, who knows. I know that I like putting things together and organizing. That's about it as far as I know.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment