Ah, it is the end of the year and the time to look over this year and ponder over what you've learned, desired, and the fun moments along the way. So, now I will talk about the defining moments of 2009.
President's List...though, not easy
I made the President's List once again this past spring. I managed an A in Chemistry 2 (& lab), Environment of Business, Psychology, and Precalculus. But all but Precal were keeping me on my toes, but I managed to get through.
Awesome Events
We had some amazing events this year at GGC, most of which occurred during Fall. In the Spring, we had GGC Idol and the Spring Bash. GGC Idol was fun because I got to perform in front of my peers and have a great time with my good friends. Props to Homero for putting all together. The spring bash was fun, though not as good as Perimeter's from last year, but it was still good nonetheless. Over the summer I went to a GGC-sponsored Gwinnett Braves game. However, not many people came because it was forecast to rain, but fortunately there was no rain delay. Fall semester brought lots of fun things to GGC such as the OLAS Masquerade Ball, the SGA Halloween party, Fight Back for Children's Benefit Concert, and of course, Students 4 Christ's Night of Hope. All of which were fairly successful and fun. It is stuff like this that helps to make the college experience at GGC worthwhile.
The Summer of Disagreement
This is the part of the blogpost where I admit to say that I am very naive. I was brought into what I thought was a friendship and realized that I didn't need certain people dictating how I think. I had a disagreement over facebook which left a very bitter taste in my mouth and allow me to come to the conclusion that I need people to build me up, not tear me down. I realized that I had developed a relationship with people on the basis that I was "cool". I was flattered right into a mess that I needed in order to grow. Now I am a little more careful with the friends I choose to associate myself with.
The Circle (or Clump)
Yes, I'm talking about the circle of amazing people who would gather in the B Atrium and just do nothing. Oh sweet nothing. We would just sit around in a circle (or clump depending on the day) and just sit and talk or play on computers. This, I think, is my favorite part of the year. We would just hang out together. Get to know each other and enjoy everyone's company. Also, we have a running joke involving me and the circle, and will probably be my legacy from GGC. I have a tendency to walk into the group during a fairly inappropriate (or seemingly inappropriate) stretch of conversation. Because of my innocence, people suddenly get embarrassed that I came in at that time. If I come in, we all just laugh about it. But if it is anyone else, they have "pulled a Blair". Also, it is rather hilarious how Jaclyn will say something slightly inappropriate to someone and say "Now, I bet Blair will come from around the corner", then I coincidentally come around the corner. She must be psychic. lol ;)
School Stress
As I said before, I made the President's list in the spring, but it was a lot of hard work. I had a C in midterm in Chemistry due to an error in grading and a failing quiz that had not been dropped yet. Also, the test percentages in Psych and Business kept me on my toes in those classes. If I made a B on a test in those classes, I had to work my hardest on everything else in the class to keep an A. In summer, I took Intermediate Programming and Swimming. I almost dropped Swimming because I was not used to the exertion, but Ms. Elkovich gave me a pep talk to keep going. I ended up dropping Programming instead because it went too fast during a four-week span. In the fall, I didn't worry about my classes to much... until I got my first Networks test. I got my first B in 2 years. >.<
The Retreat!!!
The SGA retreat was one of the best things about 2009. I had a blast on it. It was my very first retreat and it didn't disappoint. I loved going on the treasure hunt, the Amazing Race knock-off, the pool party, the Cranium game, the skipping, the lectures, freaking people out thinking we're ghosts, and other memorable moments. It was amazing and I hope to be re-elected to go on it next year.
Student Government Association
This was my first year in the Student Government. It has been great so far. We put together the Halloween party, which was fun despite all the setbacks we encountered in planning it. We also passed a smoking resolution that will make students stop smoking right outside the doors, but will have designated smoking areas away from the doors. We also helped a student find her lost laptop with important information. Hopefully 2010 will bring more interesting things for the SGA to do.
My 21st Birthday
For most people, the 21st birthday is a milestone so they can drink alcohol legally. For me, that is not the case. I found it funny how many people want me to drink. I'm just not into it. I smelt some champagne earlier tonight and confirmed that I don't want to drink alcohol. Even though I'm not drinking, I still had a lot of fun for my 21st birthday. I had a birthday party for which we went bowling then got pizza. It was a ton of fun. I didn't have a lot of people show up, but we still had fun anyway. Hopefully my 22nd will be even better! :)
Church
So, for the first time in my life, I changed churches. I started attending The Church at Webb Gin and left Stonemill. I really felt that I no longer had a place at Stonemill, so I decided to check out Webb Gin. I liked how it was a really small congregation and I was already close to half of it. I was saddened, though, at the fact that due to legal issues and the September flooding, Stonemill was shutting its doors. Even with Webb Gin, changes were plentiful. We are in its third location in the time that I've been there, and now we are merging with the church that allows us to meet there. I just wish that the latest, and probably final, move wasn't so far away in Grayson. But I know that if God wants me to be there, He'll provide a way to do so.
God's Providence
Which, oddly enough is the church we are merging with. However, I mean God's providence. I learned that God provides when you trust Him. For one, I've witnessed His healing power with a situation with my family. Also, with the planning of Night of Hope, there were several setbacks that could have prevented the event from occurring. Setbacks such as: location issues, speaker issues, paperwork issues, promotion issues, and just annoying issues. But God provided for each and every issue we faced. I just gave it to God because, quite frankly, I could not do it on my own. Or even with Hannah, Megan, or Chris' help. God truly had His hand on us and it was clear that God wanted the event to happen.
God has been awesome to me this 2009. And even though I had struggles, God pulled me through. I know that God will be there in the coming year and pray that he continues to bless me, my family, and my friends. God bless you all and happy new year!
Wednesday, December 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I will never forget how God worked out all the details--little and big--for Night of Hope. He is truly amazing and I am so thankful to have been a part of Students 4 Christ, and to work with you. I know God has great things in store for the club and I look forward to hearing what He does next. Oh, and you better invite me to the next event! ;-) Happy New Year!
~Hannah P.
Post a Comment