Ah, thinking. I tend to think way too much on some things, and way too little on things that are important. The main issue that has been occupying my brain space is how to deal with controversial issues in a loving manner. I have very strong opinions on many issues, particularly political/religious arguments. Politically, I label myself Libertarian/Social Conservative. If I'm not Libertarian on issues, I am Social Conservative because of my religious beliefs. I know it is taboo to mix God into politics, but God is a core part of my being, therefore I really don't see any reason not to incorporate my faith into my political views.
Since I have that part established... I also have a hot-headed attitude to those who I disagree with. I want to prove that I'm right all of the time, so much that I become arrogant at times. This doesn't happen often, mostly because I try not to debate. However, how am I to teach what God teaches? I see someone doing something wrong, I want to stop it. Not to be mean, but because I love them. However, my human arrogance gets in the way and makes me look like an idiot, and as a result, my opponent wins the argument. As I've said, this rarely happens because usually I don't get involved in the first place. But I ponder: How do I get involved and help, but do this in a loving way? How do I get my point across, but not in an arrogant "Oh yeah! Well... uh... um..." type of way. It is probably just something that God will teach me over time. I am young and very inexperienced on many levels. That is why I delve into God's Word for wisdom. I read 2 Timothy 2. Paul is writing to Timothy about how to deal with non-believers and fake believers.
"Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. And the Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead, he must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. Those who oppose him he must gently instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth." ~ 2 Timothy 2:23-35 (NIV)
I pray that I can live up to this. I pray for the wisdom to be level-headed during disagreements. But one thing has stuck out, don't get into foolish arguments because they cause quarrels. Maybe I don't need to think to hard about these issues that plague my mind. How I can force my beliefs on someone, because God's gonna do the work, not me. I just need to plant the seed, that's what I'm called for. I don't need to prove my opinions are right. I don't need to picture scenarios in my head for debates. I just need to state what I believe, why I believe, and let God handle the rest. No proving I'm right. But I am not let go entirely, I still need to do my job and tell the world about Jesus and what He stands for, to help and love the lost. If that offends you, well, I'm doing my job right. Because I know this road isn't easy, I'm gonna be ridiculed for all I believe, and that is going to be the bare minimum. I follow Christ because I desire hope and He is going to give it to us. But I have to trust God that He will make the deciding factor in the lives of non-believers. My job is solely to preach the gospel, and then love and help those who I teach, regardless who they are.
And while I have had a blog post itching to be written about some issues that have been placed on my heart, with so much thinking my brain is cramping, I just need to chill and do my duties as a Christian and let God do the rest. To quote the Relient K song, "I've been thinking, over thinking."
Monday, June 08, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment