Ok, if you didn't know, I am an Atlanta Braves fan. I don't care for any other sports, but I can get into Braves Baseball. Yesterday was a big day as far as trades and other lineup changes go. Tom Glavine was released from the Braves, which is the more controversial move of the day. He has been out of the lineup due to an injury and surgery, but has been pitching for the minor league Braves team and was about to go back into the major league. However, the Braves organization decided to let Glavine go despite his progress. Many Braves fans are outraged and devastated because Glavine has been with the Braves for so long. (Even though he was with the evil Mets for a few years) I, for one, am not upset as much as everyone else over this decision. It may be because I don't have the sentimental experience as older Braves fans do because I became a fan when Glavine was with the Mets. Of course, I was more outraged when John Smoltz went to the Red Sox this year. Another reason the Glavine decision was ok with me is that we really won't have room for him on the rotation. Think about it. We have Derek Lowe and Jair Jurrjens, who have done very well this year, as well as Kawakami and Vasquez (if the Braves would get more bat action going). We also have Kris Medlen and Tommy Hanson, both were pitching aces in the minors, but have been called up to be in the rotation. Hanson being called up also was one of the highlights of yesterday. And Tim Hudson, who has been out for over a year due to surgery, is recovering and should be back sometime this year. As you can see, we've got good pitching all the way around. So we really don't need Glavine as much as we needed him last year when we didn't have all of this good pitching. But what we need now is good hitting. (Oh Teixiera, how much we miss thee.) That's where Nate McLouth comes in. He was the center-fielder for the Pittsburgh Pirates until yesterday, when the Braves traded 3 prospects for him. Excellent move, despite the fact I had never heard of him until yesterday. From what I have gathered he is a good player, or at least should be better than Jordan Schafer who was sent back down to the minors. Most Braves fans are happy with this acquisition, but the Pirates fans are outraged more so than Braves fans were about Glavine. I was reading a national commentary that allowed comments from readers and the vast majority of those who commented were outraged Pirates fans. I don't think I saw any from Braves supporters cheering on the decision. Though, I only read one page, it was enough to show me how it was a huge deal to the Pirates. Probably because McLouth was one of the better players on the team, and Pittsburgh isn't doing so well. Even so, I am glad we have a center fielder who can actually hit. Our outfielders need to step it up significantly. Maybe this is the change we need.
So, yeah, can you tell I like the Braves? haha One favor I could ask: I would like a discussion on this topic. What do you think of the happenings of the Braves in the past couple of days? If you don't care about baseball, then don't discuss. But if you are a Braves fan, please voice your opinion. :)
Thursday, June 04, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment