Eh, I figured that would be an intriguing title. As I am still under my sunburn's mercy. Yesterday, I was gonna go shopping for next week's wedding, but I really didn't want to try on clothes because it would irritate my back more. So I went to church. It was good. Not one of Pastor Drew's awesome sermons, but still good nonetheless.
Afterwards, I was invited to go to the park with Ashley A. and some other friends and play volleyball. However, when I got there, the court was already taken by some people. We decided to wait for them to be finished, but they saw us and asked if we wanted to play against them. Of course, we took up their offer and played. It was fun. We didn't keep score until the end... and half of the time we weren't even keeping score then! After volleyball, the other group asked if we wanted to play some kickball, since we had enough people. We played kickball for a while, but I had to leave after an inning. Note that I did have 2 home runs during my time in the game. The entire evening was fun, and I'm glad I didn't go shopping... even though I probably will today.
Despite having a good day, I had to go to QT to get a bag of ice. As I walked out of my car, there was a teenager in front of me. He asked if I could help him with something. Because I didn't know what he needed me for, I answered, "it depends, for what?" because if it was something important, I would be more than happy to help. His reply kind of surprised me because he wanted me to buy him cigarettes. I declined his offer for several different reasons: 1) I do not support smoking because I have seen the damage in loved ones who now have to rely on oxygen tanks to provide enough oxygen to breathe. 2) The kid was probably underage because why else would he not get them himself? I would be breaking the law if I had helped him. 3) Even if I did decide to help, I didn't have enough money on me to pay for the cigarettes, just the ice. This is the first time I have seen this in person, that's why it shocked me and why I deemed the story blog-worthy. It is sad to me how kids are smoking so early and the addiction has kicked in. It saddens me because not now, but years from now, these kids will be struggling for life as their lungs have rotted away. I wish I could have said all of this to the teenager, but my timid and shy nature along with my surprise prevented the lecture. A great opportunity to help this kid, and I fail. I could have witnessed to him as well, but I just went on my way. I pray God gives me the courage to speak out and help others in need and not let my shyness get in the way.
Sunday, May 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment