Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Class Check-in

It's January 26th, and I can now tell you what I think of ALL my classes. Ok, I could've a couple of days ago, but I've been busy. Here's my round-up!

Software Development 1
So far, so good. I'm taking the class with Dr. Brannock, who is one of my favorite teachers at GGC. I'm really happy that the course doesn't focus on coding, but on the entire process of developing software. One thing about Dr. Brannock I like is that she incorporates her work experience into her teaching. That makes the class a lot more interesting because it makes it more applicable instead of just stuff on a powerpoint. I'm hoping to enjoy the class, despite the 8am start time.

Studies in Modern Poetry & Drama
This is going to be my hardest class, as I mentioned in a previous post. That being said, I'm still enjoying the class. I'm starting to develop a better appreciation of poetry. The main problem I have is that it is very fluid and I'm not sure what to expect for the midterm. I'm also intimidated by the writing we have to do: a 750 word essay, as well as a 10 page research paper, and he's tossing around the idea of another essay. I will be going to him a lot this semester for help! Other than that, I'm having fun in the class. We've got fun people in it, so discussion is very lively.

Principles of Management
Yes, my very first night class. The good part is that Mr. Martin doesn't always go the whole 2 1/2 hours alloted. The class is really interesting. Like Software Development, it has an applicable concept. I'm thinking that if I wasn't doing the IT/English thing, I probably could have done business, but it's a little late now. haha Mr. Martin makes the class interesting, and he is very down-to-earth, which you wouldn't expect from a business teacher. And I get to do my presentation on the Donald. I just need a red wig and I'll be in business! (no pun intended) Plus, this class shouldn't be too hard on my workload. Not bad for my first night class!

Technical Writing & Communication Practices
Again, another applicable class that I'll be able to take to the business world, except this one is an English class. I'm enjoying it so far. We're going to run the class like a company and work for a client to get something done. Yeah, not your normal English class, but I think it will be fun. This class will be fairly manageable gradewise as about half of the class is just completing assignments and showing up. In fact, I get 10% of my grade just by making a LinkedIn account. Not bad! The only problem is that there is a good bit of busy work involved with the project. As long as it doesn't affect my other classes, I'll be good.

Intro to Databases
Yeah, yeah. Another BORING ITEC class, one would guess at first glance. NOPE! Databases are... fun? Ok, that might be a stretch, but they are interesting and useful. Dr. Pollacia is one of the most fun professors I've had, and the most fun professor I've have for ITEC. She is funny. I don't get on facebook in her class... ok, that might be because she'll kick me out if I do, but she keeps my attention anyway, so I'm good. Hopefully, this class will be manageable and I won't have to worry a whole lot about this one. If I do well in this class, I might see if I can take her for Advanced Databases.

Choices for Life
And last, but not least, Choices for Life. Poor class had to wait 2 weeks just to see my pretty face. This class shouldn't be too much, especially since it's Coach Spencer. It does have more busy work than Badminton, but it all sounds fun. I'm excited that we'll be talking about preventing cancer as one of the topics. This class will be interesting.

No comments: