Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A New Direction Perhaps?

If you have read some of my previous posts, you know that I have been on a search to what I want to do in life. I've also been pondering if the degree I am pursuing would satisfy the requirements of the job I want. Should I change my major? Do I really want to do programming my whole life? What the heck do I want to do? These are the questions that I ask myself.

After a while of pondering, I realized what I want to do with my life career-wise. I want to be an editor for a magazine or newspaper, but preferably the former. I knew that was what I wanted to do, but thought it would be more technical and that an IT degree would satisfy the needs. However, doing the research proved otherwise. Most editing positions need an English, Journalism, or Communications degree. Some liberal arts degrees can suffice as well. Is my direction to go pointing me to an English degree?

If I were to switch my major, I would have to search a long time after graduation to find a half-way decent job. This economy isn't very kind to those who have liberal arts degrees. On the other hand, IT is more profitable and in demand. The practical idea is to stick with IT so I can guarantee myself a job when I graduate. So do I stick with IT and make a decent living for my future family?

What can a girl do? Do I major in what I want, but have difficulty getting a sustainable job? What if I never get the editing job I want? What is my plan B? Do I major in something that will make me more successful, but also something that isn't really my passion? Will I eventually enjoy this annoying programming stuff when I'm old? How do I manage this dilemma?

My solution: Get a double degree in ITEC & English. This makes it possible to get the job I want, but also give me my backup if something goes wrong. Plus, this allows me to take fun classes that I've been wanting to take along with my IT courses. I will end up getting 2 diplomas. The downside: I will graduate in 2013, a year and a half after my initial graduation date. But I think it will be worth it. If I get what I want for a career, it will work out.

The very strange thing about all of this, is that this was so sudden and unexpected... especially to me! I never thought I would major in English. I thought I was more of a math-oriented person than an english major type of person. Also, the fact that I started contemplating it Friday. THIS PAST FRIDAY!!! And the fact that the feeling came so strongly makes me wonder. Was it just impulse? Or was it God shoving me toward what I want, even though I was in denial. I truly believe it is the latter. Usually when I do things through impulse, I stop myself before anything actually happens. I couldn't stop this. Plus, this just didn't make sense at first, but that is the way God works: He doesn't make sense to us. Look through many situations through the Bible. Many didn't make sense in the beginning, but God made it work out. It just takes trust. And I'm trusting God with this new direction!

2 comments:

Brittany Lyman said...

Blair,

First I would say that a lot of praying is in order. See if you can find God's direction on which way to go. Another thing I would look at is what you want to do and enjoy, if God has gifted you with talent and a want in the magazine editing field then go with that. It may not pay the most, but you wil be happy in what you do. Sometimes God has something for us that may not be the best paying or most rewarding, but it is what we are meant to do. Not everyone is cut out to be a pro football player right? lol

Love you,
Brittany

Cynthia said...

go for both... don't settle for just the possible money aspect or just the passion... you will have to wake up every day of your life and do whatever your occupation is.. the question is: could you wake up every day and see yourself doing something in programming? or in english, as an editor?people who arent passionate about what they do usually end up unsatisfied because they spend most of their time working that job and don't get to enjoy the benefits of having it, and when they spend most of their time their, if its something they don't like...its unsatisfying, at the same time,we don't want to live in a cardboard box and eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches do we?the price we must pay for art. good luck.

--Cynthia