Saturday, August 22, 2009

First Impressions/Adventures of the first 2 days

Day 1:

So my day started early... way to early, as I have an 8AM Biology lab on Mondays. Of course the lab HAD to be the first day of class after weeks of me enjoying a summer sleeping schedule. Well, after dragging myself out of bed, I got ready for school. I was fairly bummed that the new GGC portal (the thing that mushed WebCT into Jovo) did not have the "Who's Online" feature that was on WebCT every semester since I started college. I know this isn't a big thing, but it was kind of neat checking to see who was online on the first day of classes, and also happened to be in my classes. Oh well, I shall move on. The Bio lab went good. Dr. Brandon wasn't able to make it the first day, so Dr. Benson subbed to talk about lab safety and such. The entire lab session lasted less than 30 minutes.
I got out and had a 4 hour break until my next class. So I bought books, hung out, and explored the campus a little. Somehow, GGC managed to get a Krispy Kreme Doughnuts stand-like thing in Building A. (No, the light wasn't on.) I decided to buy one expecting it to be about 2 bucks. It rang up $3.29. $3.29!?! Oh well, I guess no more doughnuts for me. I went up to Building B and found a similar Krispy Kreme stand and a sign stating the price was $1.09. (Note that the one in Building A didn't have the price listed.) I was kinda irritated at first, because I try to be very frugal. Well, I still had a ton of time to kill, so I hung out with the typical Building B crew and lots of welcome-back hugs were given. My Info Systems class was alright. I recognized a few people, but I had a headache (probably due to lack of sleep) so that made me want to get out of class ASAP. The class is a little boring (as is most ITEC classes) and I hope I do well in it. Because of the headache, I decided to stay until the headache subsided and hung out more.

Day 2:

My day didn’t start quite as early. My first class was at 9:30, but I got there early so I could get breakfast. I anticipated my Networks class to be intensely boring, but I actually enjoyed it! I don’t really know why. Maybe because the stuff I am learning is actually applicable in everyday situations, and that we’ll be working hands-on with networks. Also, most of my Intermediate Programming class was in this class as well, along with other IT majors around school who keeping the class interesting. Hopefully, this will continue and I’ll enjoy the class. I had a lunch break, but I just got a snack as the club fair later would have free food. Yum.
Statistics is also going to be a fun class. It is another class that has applicable concepts, very helpful. The teacher is pretty entertaining and keeps my attention. I think all my teachers should have strong southern accents. lol But oddly enough, he talks pretty fast (and continuously) with the accent. But Dr. Thomas, or Marty as he prefers, seems to have a similar course structure as Dr. Barron. I am not worried about this class.
Afterwards, we had the club fair. I was a busy bee as I had to go to my car at Building A (Stat class was in Building B) to get stuff for the Students 4 Christ booth, as well as find a table when I got back. I got there right before the scheduled time, but it looked as if it had started about ten minutes before. We got some names, but not as many as I would have hoped.


Overall, I’m going to enjoy my classes. Of course, I will say otherwise once the full load kicks in. But until then, I shall enjoy my time at GGC.

No comments: