Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Finding Blessings in Disappointment

For those who don't know, I applied to be a resident assistant for the GGC dorms. The job of a resident assistant is to, well, assist the residents. I would be the go-to person if a resident is having issues regarding school and life. Also, the resident advisor is to plan events that unite the residential community. Events such as: pizza parties, board game nights, and other interesting fun things to encourage fellowship. This would be a very busy job, which would not be an easy task given that I am taking 6 classes this fall, it would still be rather rewarding. Despite the hard work involved, this sounded like something that I would definitely be good at and enjoy. (Please pay no attention to the fact that the room would *possibly* be free if I got the position. :P Ok, that actually may have something to do with my interest.)

About 4 weeks ago, I attended an information session about how to become an RA and what was expected of them. I received the application finding that I had only 4 days to finish the application, create a resume, find 2 letters of recommendation, and print my transcript. I got all the necessary documents and submitted the application on time. I was informed that there were more positions than candidates, so my initial thought would be that they would cancel the group session that I was somewhat concerned about. I was called back to attend the group session. I felt that I had done well considering that I'm generally pretty shy and this time I tried to get out of the proverbial box. I was called back for an interview, which would be the final step. I dressed up very nice for the interview and did the best I could. I felt like I had done well enough despite having little job experience. I was fairly confident that I would get the job.

Yesterday (Monday), I was told by fellow RA hopefuls that the housing office was calling the candidates. My programming class was about to start and I mentioned to my professor that I was expecting the call and asked if I could answer when they called. During class, my phone rang. Unfortunately, it was only my father who forgot that I was in class. The phone rang again. It was my dad again. Class ended with no phone call from the housing office. I waited at school to make sure they didn't call while I was driving. I left the school thinking that the office is closed and they would call me the following day. I left the school parking lot and checked my phone at the red light; they had called. I immediately called back, but no one answered. I called back this morning and was told they would call me back later.

Then I got an email.

I didn't make the cut. I apparently was not qualified enough for the position, despite my SGA and Students 4 Christ interactions. I was devastated. I worked hard to put everything together and was looking forward to working the position, but alas, it goes up in smoke. Also, I was really, really looking forward to living on campus. I had been wanting to live in the dorms since I heard they were supposed to be up in 2008! Now they are built and I thought I had a way to live there without it taking a huge chunk from our budget. I thought wrong. All day I've been thinking about that interview and finding things that I wish I had thought of at the time.

Despite the disappointment, I find that there are blessings spread out in this story. I was thinking about my load in the fall: 6 classes, being president of Students 4 Christ, and probably being senator in SGA, all in addition to the RA job. This was going to be a hectic semester. Classwise, I have an ok load (Brit Lit, Badminton, Renaissance Lit, Operating Systems, and Spanish 3), with one difficult class (Advanced Programming with Dr. Jenkins). I was concerned about my programming class because it would be very difficult and require lots of time. The more I look at it, the more I realize that a burden has been lifted from me. I feel better about taking the programming course now that I am not going to be an RA. Plus, this will guarantee that I put all my other priorities first.

Another blessing is that I feel that God has been calling me back to youth ministry, but with Bay Creek. This semester I mentioned youth ministry to Steve, the youth pastor. However, I then realized that the time was bad due to the fact that I live so far away from the church. If I was to live at GGC, then I'd be a lot closer to Bay Creek, and the drive wouldn't be as bad. However, with the RA position, I wouldn't be guaranteed free time to do said youth ministry. God somewhat also put the idea in my head that if I don't get the position, that would be why. I've been praying that if God wants me to do youth ministry, to please open the doors because I cannot move them on my own. Perhaps this is a door opening. Mind you, I'm still at square one regarding the distance of the church, but I have a feeling that God isn't done opening doors for me.

I'm still trying to find options that I can use to live on campus. I'm gonna try to find any sort of financial aid available to help pay for it. I may have been knocked down, but I'm not a quitter. I was turned down last year when I applied for a vacancy in the SGA, but I worked my tailbone off to be the highest vote-getter in my school. I was turned down for GGC Idol, but was able to compete in a dance competition and won free food! This is starting to be a recurring theme. Maybe it will continue.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Don't want you to give up hope for living on campus, but I don't think financial aid pays for campus living. I tried seeing if it would allow me to live on GSU campus, but it didn't in the least.

J. Blair said...

From what I've read, whatever the Pell Grant doesn't pay for tuition & fees, the remainder goes to the student for books, housing, etc. Heck, I read where someone used the money to go shopping for fun. I'll have HOPE to pay tuition, and I am hoping to get the Pell Grant & another grant. So (assuming I get the aid) the issue is now to convince my mom to let me do it.