Saturday, August 30, 2008

Fall ’08: The Beginning

Here are my early thoughts of this new semester:

-Geography
This is going to be an easy class. Our first day, we did a map activity involving a Georgia map (which made me happy hehe). I already know a couple of people in the class. Ashley A. is in the class along with a girl who was in my first English class. There is one bad thing, the class doesn’t have very much energy and is slightly boring, but I hope it gets better.

-History II
I’m taking History with Dr. Gagnon again. This semester is different from last semester, due to the fact he got rid of the IDs and now we have to lead activities in class. I don’t know how this will turn out, hopefully good. :) Also, I already knew a bunch of people in the class. I know at least 3 who were in my History class last semester, and 4 people I knew from other classes.

-Spanish II
*Gasp* Spanish II? Since when am I taking that? Well, since I was (at one point) considering transferring, I thought I would need more credits. (Don’t worry, I have renounced the intention of transferring to another college.) Another reason was because I remembered how fun Spanish class was, and I already had the book, so I figured I would take Spanish for another semester. Another thought came to mind as I registered, “Hmmm, Ashley C. told me she was taking Spanish again. I wonder what would happen if I not tell her I am taking the class”. So, I kept the whole thing underwraps. I walked into class and she was slightly surprised. Ok, back to the class itself. Spanish class is just as fun as I left it last Fall. I think I have found my favorite Spanish word to this day: pantuflas! (pan-toof-flahs) It means “slippers”. Come on, say it! It is really fun to say!

-Programming
Well, Programming is more boring at the moment. However, that may be because we have really started yet. We are still going through the history of programming, and reviewing what I had learned in ITEC and Digital Media. I will be happy when we finally start to work on projects, and actually do something in that class other than listen to Dr. Kurkovsky lecture for nearly 2 hours. (He has a really think Russian accent to top it all off.)

-Music Appreciation
This class is gonna be awesome! For one thing, the teacher is really laid back. He kinda reminds me of a youth pastor. Ashley C. is in this class as well, so I have an ally in this class. Another good thing is that we sing in class. Not solos, but the teacher will hum a few bars, and we do the same thing as a group... and we actually sound decent. Also, he gave us the option of either writing a research paper, or write and record a song! I may choose the second option. I am going to learn a lot about analyzing music in this class. At the moment, we are studying Gregorian Chants. It is fun listening to them and Jordan to overhear. “What the heck are you listening to?” she asks. Quite funny.

Overall, this is looking like a good semester. I just hope it lives out to that expectation.

No comments: