Thursday, July 31, 2008

Miss Blair Sanders, What Do You Want To Do With Your Life?

For the past seven weeks, Waters Edge has been doing a series, Wonderlust, with the purpose of helping college students find what they are called to do. I thoroughly enjoyed the series because it dealt with identity, a topic that particularly fascinates me. However, I figured it didn’t apply to me as much due to the fact I pretty much knew what I wanted to do with my life. But tonight, I found how the message could apply to me as well.

For many years, I wanted to become a Christian singer/songwriter when I grew up. As the years go by, I wonder about this “talent” I thought I had. I could sing, play some piano, a tiny bit of guitar, and I could write lyrics for songs. However, I wondered how I could use this talent for a career. My mom strongly discouraged me NOT to major in music, because if I couldn’t get a big break, I wouldn’t have anything to fall back on for a career. Hence my majoring in Information Technology. I always thought I had a good voice live, but I never thought it sounded good recorded. This fact made me doubt my potential in the music field. However, tonight, I realized that God gave me these talents for a reason, not to just sit back and waste away. I realize this while I write a song during the sermon. (I know, I should have been paying more attention, but I felt inspired.) I am still going to major in Information Technology, but perhaps I should make more of an effort to perform to the world and spread the gospel in that manner.

The only thing hindering me is that I can’t do this alone. I need to find some sort of mentor to help me with my voice and other musical abilities. I have the talent, I just need to learn how to use said talent. Also, I’m in need of a microphone that is compatible with my Mac, so I can record music. But I have a birthday coming up, so that will definitely help. I want to glorify God with the talent He graciously gave to me. I just hope I am able to do that.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my mom is a music teacher.

Ashley said...

Hmm... I wish I could help, but I don't think I have any skills in that area. :(